It is interesting that the reading defines "arrogating" as the unique disposition of practicing loving perception and blind ignorance. Particularly, what Ortega perceives as an "epistemology" sounds like it is more a conscious socialization of white women that can renders them ignorant to the concerns of women of color. This is not to say that women who fall prey to the epistemology of ignorance are completely conscious of it; rather, society at large is complicit in this type of socialization that uses existing institutions as its primary vehicle of maintaining its regime.
The institution of racism is brought up specifically as particularly salient and related to the epistemology of ignorance. Persistent forms of overt racism in the modern era, I think, are examples of ignorance that is certainly willful. However, connecting this to the discussion of women's health care in the Tuana piece, I'm interested to know how powerful institutions like the health care industry can perpetuate ignorance in insidious and non-obvious ways that foster the existence of internalized misogyny.
Lastly, I would like to explore the idea of the epistemology of ignorance in relation to ethics. It seems as though even the most willfully ignorant people operate under the assumption that they are doing "good" or are behaving morally righteously. How do moral maxims and normative systems of ethics interact with the socialization of willful ignorance? Are ethical systems similar to other institutional power structures (medical industry) in their complicity in the epistemology of ignorance?
The institution of racism is brought up specifically as particularly salient and related to the epistemology of ignorance. Persistent forms of overt racism in the modern era, I think, are examples of ignorance that is certainly willful. However, connecting this to the discussion of women's health care in the Tuana piece, I'm interested to know how powerful institutions like the health care industry can perpetuate ignorance in insidious and non-obvious ways that foster the existence of internalized misogyny.
Lastly, I would like to explore the idea of the epistemology of ignorance in relation to ethics. It seems as though even the most willfully ignorant people operate under the assumption that they are doing "good" or are behaving morally righteously. How do moral maxims and normative systems of ethics interact with the socialization of willful ignorance? Are ethical systems similar to other institutional power structures (medical industry) in their complicity in the epistemology of ignorance?
Rupsha, I really enjoyed reading your post this week. I thought you delineated current cultural willful ignorance well with your description of racism and it's both willful and sometimes unknowing lack of consciousness depending on certain generations. I love your ethics questions. They have me thinking about the various ways in which hatred of others materializes into very tangible experiences. I feel as though the normative systems of ethics you mention has foundations partially built on that same socialization of willful ignorance. Most times I anticipate one would find that people think their ethical values actually benefit certain minority groups. All of your questions are good ones and deserving of a longer and more meaningful conversation!
ReplyDelete