Epistemology
of Ignorance
The
“epistemology of ignorance” is about the miscommunication between women about
their bodies and rights. This miscommunication is grounded in a lack of
conversation, debate, and dialogue. The problem is knowing that we do not
know, but not caring to know. The epistemology of ignorance traces the
historical transmission of faulty logic, misinformation of facts regarding the
medical and psychological issues regarding women.
Tuana states, “Women have thus been defined sexually in terms of what pleases men; our
own biology has not been properly analyzed. Instead, we are fed the myth of the
liberated woman and her vaginal orgasm-an orgasm, which in fact does not exist.
What we must do is redefine our sexuality. We must discard the
"normal" concepts of sex and create new guide lines which take into
account mutual sexual enjoyment”. The only education I received about female
pleasure specifically was through misinformation acquired among friends as well
as middle and high school health classes. Most of the information I received catered
to a male audience. However, once I started taking classes on Women and Gender
Studies I learned that female pleasure is not only tied to male penetration.
This revelation broke down all misconceptions I have had about lesbian
relationships as well as healthy sexual relationships between men and women.
Breaking ignorance is solely the
responsibility of the individual. The problem is knowing that we do not know,
but not caring enough to know. Upon recognizing myself as a feminist I am grateful
that I took the time to seek knowledge and break the pattern of ignorance
common on our campus.
Jeff, I thought that you did a really good job with your post. It is interesting to hear the male perspective with regards to the miseducation surrounding the origins of female pleasure. I found it interesting that you said "breaking ignorance is solely the responsibility of the individual." I am curious to know what you think about the "they don't want us to know" section of ignorance. If institutions are blocking the knowledge from the people do you still think the responsibility is entirely on the individual? It is something that I have been thinking about and hopefully we can discuss this as a class. Thanks for your honest response.
ReplyDelete