There are links
between the first six chapters of “Dispossession: the performative in the
political and Judith Butler’s book “Undoing Gender”. Of course, Judith Butler
also partially wrote Dispossession; however, I thought that it was still
interesting to see how the theme of interdependence surfaced in the two
different texts.
In the book Undoing Gender, Judith
Butler uses the idea of tragedy to show that we are all vulnerable creatures.
At anytime we can be subjected to great grief at the hands of someone else. As
I stated in my previous blog post on Undoing Gender, Judith Butler refers to
the random acts of violence against transgender women to illustrate how
unexpected violence can be and how reliant we are on each other for our safety. Moreover, in the book Dispossession the term
“social death” is used to explain how some people are not viewed as human by
other members of society. Social death is a way to dispossess individuals, for
example transgendered people, from the idea of what it means to be human.
Through being dispossessed from what is seen as human one can longer be
protected by “human” rights. The book discusses individuals who are displaced
from their homes and then also driven from the new lands that they migrate to.
Survivor is threatened through being “outside” your land, or “outside”
humanity. In some respects, ware dependent on others to determine whether we are inside, or
not even though we know that we are on the inside.
Similarly, this idea of interdependence is
explored in through the idea of dispossession. The book uses situations such as
political unrest, slavery and colonialism to illustrate how at anytime we can
be disposed from our homes and countries. We are reliant on governments, laws
and rights to protect us and at any time these things we rely on can change. New governments get voted in and old ones get overthrown, which means we are dependent on others for stability. Also, I think the book shows that even though
the idea of dispossession originally was used to in relation to losing land we
can also view dispossession as being removed from ourselves, or our idea of
“self”. Athena Athanasiou states “being and having are constituted as
ontologically akin to each other; being is defined as having; having is
constructed as an essential prerequisite of proper human being”. I think that
this is a great description of the idea that we often define ourselves by what
we have and when what we have is taken from us (which most things can be) then we
become disposed.
I
chose to speak about the theme of interdependence in both books because I think
that is what draws me to Butler’s work. She exposes our humanity in a way that
shows how reliant we are on each other, which I do not think is a terrible
thing. In my opinion, a lot of writers focus on an unrealistic idea of autonomy that does not
translate to everyday life.
Catherine,
ReplyDeleteI agree that Butler's focus on relationalurt and interdependence is one of the reasons her work is so intriguing and powerful. I'd like to add to what you've said about how dispossession is also a way of excluding some people from the category of "human" because I really found Butler and Athanasiou's points about the inclusion and exclusion of this category to being really thought provoking. While social institutions and regulations of course exclude some people from the real of the human, I think what is the most interesting is how to theorize about what to do about this exclusion. They assert that the solution is not to include what has previously been excluded but to reconceptualize the category in the first place. I wonder how to do this in practical realistic and not just theoretical terms, specifically in regards to categories of sexuality and gender identity.