Iris
Young’s piece highlights two predominant democratic processes: interest-based
and deliberative democracy. The interest-based model, democracy is the unified expression
of ideas and opinions or as she states, “a process of expressing one’s
preferences and demands, and registering them in a vote” thus allowing for the
voices of everyone involved (Young 120). She then speaks on deliberate
democracy, which is a system that expresses the voices of differing
individuals, but with the goal of reaching a consensus that may work
benefit all. This model promotes a collective attitude towards government,
rather than an interest-based government.
The question
of the week is how the author thinks about the challenges of difference, in
democratic theory and practice. Deliberative democracy is the most reasonable
by nature, in that it favors reason and critique over personal interest, and
assumes a consensus amongst a population. However exclusion occurs when an
agreed upon course of action violates a freedom or principle integral to one’s
identity. Democracy as is guarantees the expression of the voice, however, it
does not guarantee that every voice is heard. Iris Young proposes a process of
democracy where differences can create the necessary tension to come to a more
inclusive decision instead of exclusion. Young state, “Its members must have a
commitment to equal respect for one another, in the simple formal sense of
willingness to say that all have a right to express their opinions and points
of view, and all ought to listen” (Young 126). The effort of expressing
opinions and taking the time to listen as well solves the inequities of
democracy.
Really great post Jeff!!! I read it before I read the article and it really helped me to grasp the piece better.
ReplyDeleteIn trying to connect Young ides of democracy and Hoing's concept of the home, I think that interest based politics is the result of an incessant desire to return to the home. Home is described to a space of identity that is free of conflict and difference. It separates the "I" from the "other" and therefore the beliefs and interests of the home are only those held by the resident. I think this leads to a type of politics that as you quoted is "a process of expressing one's preferences and demands." I think that it is only with a commitment to abolishing this "home" can we get to a deliberative democracy. By embracing the dilemmas, the inherent differences, in society there can be advocates for the common good that capture the needs of all sects of society rather than just the privileged few. I agree that such an outlook can be a step towards solving the inequalities of democracy.